Old January 13th 09, 08:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Ghost bus makes the news

Mizter T wrote:
[x-posted to uk.transport.london]
[original thread at uk.railway]

On 13 Jan, 19:03, Tom Barry wrote:

Anyway, the idea of having express bus routes (more than the meagre
three current ones) was actually championed by your best mate Boris
during the election!

Yup, but orbital ones, I think. I read that commitment as part of his
strategy to portray the poor suburbs as having been neglected by Eeeevil
Ken, rather than as a serious policy (the only manifestation of it after
TfL got hold of Boris so far being a few extra buses on the X26,
doubling the frequency to a mind-blowing half-hourly). It was never
exactly fleshed out, nor was it ever really explained how it would
contribute to things, although compared to, say, replacing bendies on
the 507 and 521 it seems positively sane.

I was musing more along the lines of filling in some of the odd gaps in
the Tube/rail network where connections aren't quite made - Hammersmith
to Wimbledon, say, or Richmond to Croydon. Obviously Ealing to
Wandsworth is only a bus route because of the 2005 Railways Act rather
than for any logical reason.

would you immediately become an illegal booze hound?

Good question! I must try it, but considering the size of the bottles
of Bacardi Breezer being swigged on the 272 during Carnival and the
numbers of empty cans routinely found on the top deck of buses, the
booze ban is a bit of a sham anyway.

Tom