Old January 14th 09, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
[email protected] boltar2003@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Crossrail - is it certain now?

On Jan 14, 1:21*pm, John B wrote:
There's a tower block on Whitechapel Road near Aldgate East station
that's supposed to be a 22-storey building, but has got stuck at about
12 because the developer (an Irish/Icelandic joint ventu
bubblelicious!) has gone bust. They haven't done any work since the
Iceland crash.

Even if it hadn't crashed I doubt the market for tall buildings is in
the best of health right now. There was supposed to be the tallest
building in britain built just opposite lloyds insurance - they'd
already almost demolished the building that was there before - but
thats probably a non starter now I suspect. Which is a pity, I like
skyscrapers, can't beat a good skyline in a city especially at night.

Relevance to Crossrail? It's approved, it's going ahead, a funding
package has been agree and work has started - but that still doesn't
make it 100% certain.

Lets hope the Astoria hasn't been demolished in vain then.

B2003