Old January 14th 09, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Crossrail - is it certain now?

On 14 Jan, 12:30, wrote:
Given that the Astoria is going to be demolished to make way for the
new TCR station, is Crossrail 100% certain now or are there still
funding queries?

TfL and the DfT and have signed the final contract to transfer all
money required to Crossrail Ltd* in installments over the next 10
years. Whether TfL will actually be able to afford it is another
question, given about half of their contribution comes from the
business rates bill that's still in progress.

(* also, Crossrail Ltd is now a TfL subsidiary, so if they don't cough
up they'll be suing themselves)

On the other hand, the TCR ticket hall expansion is certain,
regardless of Crossrail, and that's what the demolition of the Astoria
is for. Crossrail will require the next block south to be demolished
for its own shafts etc.

(obviously Crossrail also requires the expanded ticket hall)

Diagram he
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...d-station.html

The Astoria is a little left of the number 4 I think.

Also something I've been wondering is where will they
find the space at Farringdon for the major interchange that will be
needed , theres hardly anywhere for the station to expand in to?

A new ticket hall will be built south of the station (demolishing the
existing office block there) as part of the Thameslink Programme, and
will also be the Crossrail ticket hall:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...will-work.html

(the light green bit is the new Thameslink ticket hall)