Old January 15th 09, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Heathrow third runway to get the go ahead

"John Rowland" wrote in
message
Peter Masson wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:48:31 on
Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Peter Masson remarked:
So there might be a case for diverting HEx (in tunnel, not
wandering all round Cricklewood) to St Pancras.

Would this be a new station at St Pancras, or maybe sharing the Kent
domestic platforms, which might be over-specified. On the other
hand, if Thameslink2012 does in fact include through-running from
the GN services on the ECML, there will greater spare capacity at
KX.

I envisage an underground terminus, possibly double ended, with one
entrance from the concourse at St Pancras (near the access to the
Thameslink platforms, and another with an entrance from Euston (may
need a travelator).

It makes more sense to extend the Kent domestics from St P to
Heathrow, with a reversal at St P.

But as I understand it, Heathrow Hub is just the first station on HS2,
en-route to the midlands or the west, not a terminus. I doubt that the
current St P has enough domestic platforms (on either side) to be the
London Terminus for the high speed link to the north. Also, are they
long enough?