Old January 15th 09, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Heathrow third runway to get the go ahead

On 15 Jan, 14:07, wrote:

On Jan 15, 1:52*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
On the contrary: building things requires labour, which can be got more
cheaply in a bust,

Not if some of the cheap labour does a runner to another country. I
have no figures at hand but I wouldn't be surprised if theres a slow
leakage of poles and other east europeans from the UK right now
especially given the current exchange rate of the pound.

No leakages with Poles, they're great plumbers.

Being serious - yes, many Poles have been heading back to Poland which
at least until recently was beginning to boom, not quite sure how
they're holding up at the moment. It's not so much exchange rates,
though that's a factor, more about jobs - there were lots of jobs
coming on stream in Poland, and fewer in the UK. Of course now in the
UK jobs are rapidly becoming scarcer.

(I think the trend is - or at least was - mirrored with other eastern
Europeans, though in a rather less pronounced way than with Poles and
Poland.)