Old December 11th 03, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default public vs private

Matt B ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

With one exception all transport systems in the UK are privately owned
and/or managed.

Why should the roads be any different?

Of the "transport systems" I can think of neither the sky, sea, canals,
railway tracks (save the channel tunnel) or roads are privately owned.

The railway tracks are certainly privately owned.

There's no specific infrastructure in the sky to "own", but the
infrastructure that is provided is definitely privately owned.

Same for the sea.

Canals, I don't know. Are they owned by British Waterways, or just managed?
www.britishwaterways.co.uk - looks like it's "managed" and they're a private
co. sponsored by DEFRA. Ownership isn't clear from a quick look.