Old January 17th 09, 05:18 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default The Tories and Heathrow

1506 wrote:
On Jan 16, 11:54 am, wrote:
My inside source (golf partner) is telling me that the Tories are
deliberately hiding their light under a bushel over Heathrow
expansion, at the moment, purely so they can play the politics of all
those marginal constituencies, nearby, to the maximum effect.

Certainly their opposition is hardly typical for them.

However, all is not lost because Boris is actually out there playing
devils advocate and temperature taker on behalf of the party, rather
than as reported just being a loose cannon, with his Thames estuary
proposal.

The Thames estuary proposal has been knocking about for years and
would certainly be a, once and for all, best solution to Heathrow’s
problems.

Here’s how my source expects it to play. The Tories plan to come out
nearer, or during, the election campaign with the following proposal.

First they promise to cancel all those New Labour new towns in the
sticks (big vote winner), for which the transport infrastructure does
not exist, secondly they propose closure of Heathrow and selling of
the land for housing (mega vote winner), for which the transport
infrastructure already exists, thirdly they use the money so raised
to pay towards a brand new airport in the Thames estuary with a rail
link.

Watch this space.

OK, I'll be watching on April 1.

Wouldn't it be easier to just build the new housing in the Thames estuary?