Old December 11th 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default public vs private

On 11 Dec 2003, Adrian wrote:

Matt B ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

With one exception all transport systems in the UK are privately owned
and/or managed.

Why should the roads be any different?

Of the "transport systems" I can think of neither the sky, sea, canals,
railway tracks (save the channel tunnel) or roads are privately owned.

The railway tracks are certainly privately owned.

Sort of. The track is owned by Network Rail, which is a private company,
but has a rather odd setup - no shareholders, just members, with profits
being reinvested. It's not really like a normal private company, and it
certainly doesn't compete in a free market or anything. It's more like a
government agency which happens to be limited by guarantee than a company.
Or something.

I'm sure someone'll correct me if i'm wrong.

tom

--
Jim-Jammity Jesus Krispy Kreme Christ on a ****-rocket!