Old December 11th 03, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default public vs private

Matt B wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote...
With one exception all transport systems in the UK are privately owned
and/or managed.

Why should the roads be any different?

Of the "transport systems" I can think of neither the sky, sea, canals,
railway tracks (save the channel tunnel) or roads are privately owned.

The sky's privately managed (although the airlines who invested in it
don't expect to recoup their money anytime soon)

Isn't the Manchester Ship Canal privately owned?
The Festiniog railway was last time I checked!

There are private roads all over the country, including one at Sydenham
where tolls are collected.