Old January 21st 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default VCTS (freedom pass)

On 21 Jan, 17:55, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:12:55 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote this gibberish:

(snip)

Out of interest Mark - if you were to go to a self-service ticket
machine at a Tube station and touch your VCTS card on the reader, can
you get it to display any of your recent journeys at all?

I have no idea, I'll try that next time I'm in a station.

Just my idle curiosity, that's all!

Incidentally, how quickly was your application processed, or were
there any snags?

Also interesting to note that the "[the] VCTS concession will be valid
until 31 May 2012" [1]

I noticed that date when I got the card, slightly worrying that it's
not a permanent policy. As time goes by there are more and more people
going to be eligible for one with current military commitments and
this is a nice little thing to have.

Indeed. I guess the truth is that, unlike the Freedom Pass which
London Borough councils are obliged to provide, the VCTS is something
that's made available as a result of the Mayor's discretion rather
than as the result of any obligation placed on TfL from central
government or legislation or the like. (And before anyone gives Boris
a big pat on the back for this, it was proposed by Ken before the last
election as something he'd introduce if he won and Boris then matched
that commitment - fair play for doing that, but it can hardly be
considered a genuine Bozza initiative.)

As such it's not something that the current Mayor can guarantee will
continue to be offered by future Mayors. At least that's my reading of
things going by the expiry date, which is at the end of the month
after the next Mayoral election in May 2012. That said, I can envisage
the mad rush to process renewals should the re-elected/future Mayor
decide to continue with the scheme.

I think it's all a rather academic argument anyway, as I find it very
hard to believe that any future candidate for Mayor wouldn't commit to
continuing with the scheme. I suppose it is just worth bearing in mind
that it's not totally guaranteed to continue forever.

Incidentally, I'm curious how VCTS acceptance has been arranged with
the TOCs (albeit only after 0930 on weekdays, the same as the Freedom
Pass). Did they agree to allow free travel for ex-service personnel
(perhaps knowing that not to do so would look bad), or is money
changing hands from TfL to the TOCs in order for this scheme to be
realised?

It's also interesting to note that, as the VCTS is open to any
eligible ex-service personnel regardless of where they live, that
there might be many more people buying tickets (either single or
return) from origin stations outside of London to the first stop
within Greater London / the London zones - a kind of reverse situation
from that of people with Travelcards buying extensions from zone
Boundaries to stations outside of London. Of course this can happen
now with people who hold Freedom Passes or in-boundary season
Travelcards (or even Day Travelcards) but these people are rather more
likely to reside within London already (in the case of Freedom Passes
they will by definition, or at least they should) - VCTS card holders
meanwhile might live anywhere.