Old January 22nd 09, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] jamessan@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default VCTS (freedom pass)

Indeed. I guess the truth is that, unlike the Freedom Pass which
London Borough councils are obliged to provide,

No they are not. The Bus part yes but they could pull out of the
train / tube part if they want to. The freedom passes are valid for
two years at a time before you have to renew them.

As such it's not something that the current Mayor can guarantee will
continue to be offered by future Mayors. At least that's my reading of
things going by the expiry date, which is at the end of the month
after the next Mayoral election in May 2012. That said, I can envisage
the mad rush to process renewals should the re-elected/future Mayor
decide to continue with the scheme.

I dont think anyone can give an opened ended permanent commitment.
Yes it will probably continue but there are no guarantees.

Incidentally, I'm curious how VCTS acceptance has been arranged with
the TOCs (albeit only after 0930 on weekdays, the same as the Freedom
Pass). Did they agree to allow free travel for ex-service personnel
(perhaps knowing that not to do so would look bad), or is money
changing hands from TfL to the TOCs in order for this scheme to be
realised?

Private TOC giving something for nothing come on of course money has
changed hands.