Old January 22nd 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
David Bennetts David Bennetts is offline

Default How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

"THC" wrote in message
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

It is used in various places worldwide, including Sydney. Though apparently
in the USA you don't mind it, you watch it.
See http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Mind_the_gap
For the Sydney example see
http://www.cityrail.info/training_ru...ning_rules.jsp

I was intrigued when visiting New York a couple of years back with the "gap
filler" arrangements at South Ferry subway station, which was on an
extremely sharp curve and could only handle the front half of a train. I
believe the station has just been rebuilt to eliminate this curve. See
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:2678

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia