Old January 23rd 09, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes

I presume the track has been canted over in recent times, to
facilitate fast through-running.

Going into London on SWT this morning, I noticed "mind the gap"
announcements at every station after Putney. I suspect this results
from switching over the fast and slow lines a few years back - the
platforms on the old up slow line have all been visibly raised at
some time in the past, but those on the new slow line (old up fast)
have not, leaving quite a gap.

At most stations it was a standard "mind the gap between the train
and the platform", but at Queens Road Battersea it was subtly
different: "mind the step down from the train to the platform".

I don't think the up line designation has ever been quite as you say but
it's academic at Queens Road Battersea as there has only been one up
platform in use for many years.

--
Colin Rosenstiel