Old January 24th 09, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default St Pancras (Thameslink) step free to Kings Cross?

In message
s.com, at 02:50:33 on Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Mr Thant maha.thray.sithu.u.th
remarked:
*From there, you can head east [1] along the large passageway (between
the ticket offices and the huge LCD departure board) and go outside.
Ahead of you there's a brick building called the "Gymnasium" and to its
right somewhat of a building site. However it's possible to weave
through the building site step-free and enter KX station via the
suburban platforms 9-11, then if necessary turn right along platform 8
to reach the rest of the station.

A train to Newcastle is very likely to be going from a lower numbered
platform than 8

I agree with that.

(the only time I've seen a National Express/GNER in platform 8 is on
telly when Tony Blair got one on his way out of Downing Street)

But not with that. There's often one there, indeed it had one in almost
complete "new livery" this week when I took the walking route I
described.

Therefore you're better off turning right once you get out of the
Thameslink ticket barriers where there's a taxi rank and a bus stop,
with frequent enough buses around the corner to the front of King's
Cross, from which there's easy access to platforms 1-7.

& 8 of course. Yes if the OP has the time to wait, and it's not raining
[when I was there it was *chucking* down very cold rain], that would
reduce the amount of walking. (Although a through rail ticket might be
valid on the train/tube but not a bus?)

From "S" to "D/E", then:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...df/kingscross-
2150.pdf