Old January 25th 09, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
pedan3 pedan3 is offline

Default How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:26:12 -0800 (PST), THC
wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

Further British Railways linguistic aberrations:

"Station stop" as in: Stevenage is your next station stop. Either
station or stop would be sufficient.

"My name is xxx and I am your team leader." I bought a ticket; I
didn't join a team.

"Vestible ends". This, I imagine, is related to the word 'vestibule'
but pronounced differently. One could argue that priests are
vestible, or vestable, but whether their ends are is another question.

I suspect that, if train guards or whatever they are nowadays were to
make announcements sincerely in their own words rather than reading
out a script in a very artificial tone, people might pay more
attention to what's said. And perhaps even not have mobile phone
conversations in the carriages where they're requested not to.