Old January 25th 09, 01:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
David of Broadway David of Broadway is offline

Default How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

THC wrote:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

I forget where exactly in Paris I heard this (I think it might have been
the MP89 on the Line 14 "Météor"), but the automated announcements
translate "Attention à la marche en descandant du train" as "Please mind
the gap between the train and the platform."

There are certainly no references to minding gaps in New York, or, I'd
guess, anywhere else in the United States. This is the closest we have:
http://www.mta.info/lirr/safety/WatchtheGap.html
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA