Old January 25th 09, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default "can I see your ticket please sir?"

On 25 Jan, 19:04, Offramp wrote:
There are also the WAGs - the Wide-Antidisestablishment Gates - which
are for people with luggage or prams or wheelchairs or acromegalics or
daleks. Sometimes these are used by humans who are not so encumbered.
Why? Have they got something to hide?

I missed them out because I was trying to keep it simple - or more to
the point trying not to complicate it more than I had done already.

I've used them now and again, simply because... well, because they're
there! At LO stations with a small (and newly installed) gatelines
it's sometimes the case that there is just two 'normal' gates, for in
and out, so the WAG gates are definitely there for the use of
unencumbered passengers. I dunno about the official rules but they
also seem to be used sometimes by adults with a small accompanying
child in tow, the latter of course travels for free if they are under
11. At the time they were being introduced there was some speculation
on here and elsewhere that the WAGs would be abused* by multiple
people (i.e. adults) going through at once but I haven't yet come
across this - I dare say the fact they are normally situated on the
side next to where gateline staff stand may be a deterrent against
anyone wishing to try this.

-----
* I purposefully omit the joke in poor taste that could follow here.