Old January 26th 09, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mike Mike is offline

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:54:37 +0000, Allan
wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one more
or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there for ever,
at least within my recollection, is to close permanently from next
Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. It was so easy to
get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out of
the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into the
station, and then down the stairs.

All this so a lift can be installed.

This seems very contrary.

I, and I suspect many others will call the powers that be that thought
up this ridiculous plan a bunch of arseholes. If anything they should
have been providing more escalators or a high capacity rapid lift in
this area rather than moving it outside.

When those without the funds to travel 1st class on NXEC often have to
walk down the platforms from just outside Peterborough, the long walk
to a platform on the underground often leaves them hot sweaty and
completely knackered. Making it more complicated and adding a trip
into the open air is proof that passengers are just an inconvenience.

Maybe they could also move the KX taxi ranks to 83 yards down the road
from London Victoria?