Old January 26th 09, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 11:15, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:11:09 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:

I wonder if this new lift will be under the "green oval" in front of the
station?

For reference:
http://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/...ation_nrail271...

It looks too close to Euston Road to be that. I'm guessing that the
arrangement will mean that the lift machinery need not protrude above
the surface.

So this lift is only from the booking hall level to the tube lines, not
from the surface?

Yes. From the webpage I cited earlier:

"This closure is to enable a lift to be installed to provide step-free
access from the ticket hall to the Northern line platforms."
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj....aspx#entrance

It does make sense to avoid having a direct link from the platforms to
the surface that would bypass the ticket hall. However the 'green
oval' arrangement you noted earlier might in fact play host to a
separate lift that would link the surface to the ticket hall.