Old January 26th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On 26 Jan, 09:54, Allan wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
Surprisingly, I don't think this has been posted here yet...

Posters displayed at King's Cross indicate that the entrance to the
Underground from within the main line station concourse - the one
more or less opposite platform 7 - which seems to have been there
for ever, at least within my recollection, is to close
permanently from next Sunday, 1st February.

I may be missing something, but this is a great pity. *It was so easy
to get off an arriving train, and straight down the stairs into the
underground.

Fom 1 Feb, you have through the often crowded station concourse, out
of the front of the station, merge in with everyone else coming into
the station, and then down the stairs.

All this so a lift can be installed.

This seems very contrary.

Come 2011/2012 when the new western concourse at King's Cross mainline
station opens, then things would be changing anyway. I very much doubt
that this entrance would be closing now were it not for these major
forthcoming changes to the mainline station which will result in the
current concourse disappearing.

So what you're missing is the bigger picture of how things are to
develop at King's Cross - this is just a stage in those
developments.

The new ticket hall won't change the shortest route to the tube platforms!

The exit from platforms 1-8 at the Cross will still be to the area where
the concourse is now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel