Old January 27th 09, 01:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On 27 Jan, 00:53, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 27 Jan, 00:34, wrote:

That's the Platform 0 scheme which I thought was currently under
construction, surely? I have a feeling it's changed name again,
though.

Platform Y, right up against the eastern wall. The rebuilding work
will take two platforms at once out of use, so it's being built to
compensate.

The York Way access will have to go for that, surely?

Yes. There's talk of building a new footbridge along the north end of
the main shed (where there was one before), but I'm not aware of the
status of this idea. It'll have its own gateline.

There's lots of information that I haven't digested on this campaigning
blog: http://www.kingscrossaccess.com/

Essentially the local community wants what they're calling a
'Battlebridge Crossing' to link them in to the heart of the 'hub'
which will be to the western side of King's Cross. I think this is
what you're referring to, or maybe it's not - AFAICS this wouldn't be
a bridge that would lead directly onto the platforms, it would be
public hence it wouldn't have a gateline.

There's something in that blog about Argent (the developers of KX
Central on the old goods yard) having a design of a bridge ready to
go, and also being committed (under a s106 agreement) to contribute
towards it, but only if someone else comes up with the money before
2012.

I've got some considerable sympathy for the desire for a footbridge
here to link in the neighbourhoods on the east side of the station
into all the activity on the west side.

A picture caption in the latest Modern Railways suggests a new structure
at the Northern end of the trainshed is such a bridge. It doesn't look
permanent enough for that purpose to me, but there you go.

--
Colin Rosenstiel