Old December 12th 03, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default Camden Town and Hammersmith derailments - reports available

"Richard J." wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:
"Richard J." wrote:

Steve wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in
:

I take it English is not your first language. You asked why the
introduction of a new timetable took so long. Romic replied "I
don't think it's that simple...",

Err, you misquote, there was no "..." there was no reason given by
Romic.

The "..." represents the rest of the sentence that was not pertinent
to my point. That's how you quote part of a sentence, in case you
didn't know.

At the risk of being *really* pedantic, in that case, you should have
put the '...' either outside his inverted commas or else in square
brackets to show it as an edit. The way you posted implied that what
he write contained the three dots.

Square brackets are called for in some pernickety house styles, but not
mine. The '...' (ellipsis) is *always* placed inside the quotation marks
according to every punctuation guide I have ever read. What's your source
for the opposite view?

Just the way I was always taught to do things when writing academic
articles - anything in the quotes should be what the person said, except
edirorial changes which should be square bracketed.

Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

Nor could I! :-)

Don't be misled into the impression that I care either way! :-)