Old January 31st 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster Experiment Done at Last

On Jan 31, 12:33*pm, Mizter T wrote:
much cut, just on this point

(Back to my situation, I also wonder if there would be a difference
between say doing the outerchange at Canary Wharf, indicating a
Stratford/zone 3 route but only touching in zone 2, and doing the
barrier at Stratford, which is actually in zone 3, and therefore
recalculates a continuation from an initial journey which would have
been charged [eg if I left the system at Stratford]).

Sorry I'm being stupid and I'm not quite sure I see what you're
getting at.

If you're suggesting that you might get charged for a zone 3 route if
you went via Stratford and through the 'internal gateline' at the
Stratford Jubilee line platforms, that's an interesting question,
indeed one that was raised by Paul C upthread. It's also a highly
unusual situation, as it's the only 'internal gateline' out there [1].
The answer is to try it, I guess!

Yes my thought was that an outerchange or standalone validator along
the way that was itself still in zone 2 might indicate that one was
going on a zone 3 route* but the entry and exit would only be
calculating and recalculating fares not involving zone 3 at the point
of touching.

But touching at Stratford** would presumably count as an exit from the
system in zone 3, which would be charged in my case, until it was
recalculated when I was shown to have continued the journey to Bethnal
Green or Hackney or wherever.

So the situation when it recalculated that it was a continuation would
be a possibility of keeping a fare already charged, as opposed to
adding a fare based on the evidence of the route I had taken.

*Actually Canary Wharf was not a good example, because I could be
doing London Bridge.

**Would the Jubilee gateline have any different effect from the
platform validator on the Central, say?