Old February 1st 09, 12:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default Euston Station

"Peter Masson" wrote
Most of the trains on HS2 will not be running through from HS1 - the few
that may will be able to use the Camden Road - Primrose Hill link.

I don't think so!

The justification for HS1 - especially the 'via Heathrow' imperative,
suggests slightly less parochial thinking.

It would be frankly stupid NOT to have the possibility of fast HS1-HS2
transit - way beyond any stupidity displayed so far by DfT (yes, THAT
stupid), and I see no justification for building any 'new' station.

With the model I've proposed, there is the facilty for plain 'ole intercity
trains piggybacking, joining north of Euston somewhere, and then peeling off
oop North to cities not served directly by HS2 (?Liverpool, eg), just as
395s will join at Ebbsfleet, and then go to separate platforms at St. P.

Euston needs no rebuilding (beyond the current plans), and HS1, HS2 (etc)
would be a coherent high speed railway - a trick the motorways learned back
in 1961 (ish).

There is a stated aspiration for HS1 to reach Heathrow, which can only be
via HS2 (surely), so there is already a case made (and understood by DfT),
for the two to connect. And I find it really hard to visualize trains from
Heathrow going to Euston OR St Pancras OR Stratford for Europe.

HS2 is not simply an intercity-bypass. Bet you a pound that St Pancras is
designated THE HS station for London.
--

Andrew