Old February 1st 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Pyromancer Pyromancer is offline

Default Euston Station

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as
lonelytraveller gently
breathed:
On 1 Feb, 00:50, Mizter T wrote:

And a short Building Magazine news piece from 2007 on British Land
winning the redevelopment contract for Euston:
http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3084568

I don't know why they bother wasting the money; they're planning to
build an ugly monstrosity that's nearly identical to the horrific
inhumanity that's there now.

Euston is pretty much a lost cause, I think. The only real solution
would be to send a team of trainee architects untainted by the scourge
of "modernism" to examine St Pancras, and Glasgow Central, and
Manchester Piccadilly, and learn how a main line terminus station should
be designed, with beautiful and imposing buildings, a glass roof
supported by impressive-looking steelwork, and using traditional
materials like brick and stone. And of course to include a replica of
the "arch".

But that'd cost money, and no-one in the DfT (who at the end of the day
pay for such things) seems to believe that it's important for the
capital city terminus of one of our most prestigious routes should be
anything other than dull and utilitarian.

We just have to trust that the Grade-1 listings of the beautiful
Victorian termini we still have will prevent them from ever being
reduced to the concrete horror of Euston (and perhaps Euston itself as
an on-going warning to future generations that once you allow someone to
demolish the good stuff, it can never be replaced).

Writing in The Times, Richard Morrison stated that "even by the bleak
standards of Sixties architecture, Euston is one of the nastiest
concrete boxes in London: devoid of any decorative merit; seemingly
concocted to induce maximum angst among passengers; and a blight on
surrounding streets. The design should never have left the drawing-board
- if, indeed, it was ever on a drawing-board. It gives the impression of
having been scribbled on the back of a soiled paper bag by a thuggish
android with a grudge against humanity and a vampiric loathing of
sunlight".

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com