Old February 1st 09, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default LUL Ticket Office Staffing levels

I confess I'd not taken much notice of staffing levels of ticket
offices. They're not really a facility I much use.

Yesterday, though, I needed one when (my own stupid fault), I touched in
at Ruislip Gardens, realised I'd left something in the car and had to
come out again. I looked everywhere for a member of staff (it was
8.10am but I thought when the gates were shut it meant there was someone
somewhere?) But couldn't find anyone to help me.

Anyway, I ended up with GBP1.10 being deducted for a journey I didn't
make.

Arriving at Baker Street I was amazed to find no ticket offices open
there until 9.30am on Saturdays. I can understand closures like this
in the suburbs but at Baker Street??!!

The staff on the gates and one lady helping people use ticket machines
on the Met. Side of the station were being inundated with enquiries and
I felt a bit sorry for them.

Anyway, I later found that, having made another journey ticket office
staff couldn't remove the earlier charge, so Oyster Helpline it was.

*That* didn't prove straightforward either but that's a long
story.......

My main point of surprise is the lack of ticket office openings at even
Central Area stations. I'm genuinely amazed at the Baker Street
scenario. Is it the same now at other "big" Central Area stations?
Did this come in with the New Year or have I just not noticed before?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk