Old February 1st 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default LUL Ticket Office Staffing levels

In message . 145, David
Jackman writes
Ian Jelf wrote in
:

I confess I'd not taken much notice of staffing levels of ticket
offices. They're not really a facility I much use.

My main point of surprise is the lack of ticket office openings at even
Central Area stations. I'm genuinely amazed at the Baker Street
scenario. Is it the same now at other "big" Central Area stations?
Did this come in with the New Year or have I just not noticed before?

Full details are at http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/im/SI-T.html (click on
the station name and choose "ticket office opening hours" from the menu).

Hmmm.

That has the Bakerloo office open from 0800 (as a member of staff at the
Met. Gate directed me). However, that was wrong, it was closed until
9.30am.

You will find many on very short hours at weekends or closed completely -
given so many travellers will either have travelcards bought in the sticks
or Pre-Pay it doesn't seem too unreasonable, though if your journey
requires a paper ticket not available from a machine (like mine frequently
does) it can be a right pain!

Indeed.

To be fair, my problem wouldn't have *been* a problem, if the gateline
at Ruislip Gardens had been left open. However, it was closed,
although I could find no trace of a member of staff to let me back out
without touching.

The planner says the ticket office isn't open until 11.00am (which is
what the sign on the closed office there said. So if there was a
member of staff around (which there must have been for the gates to be
closed) where were they?

But I guess it beats having them closed completely, which was the original
plan.

I agree with you (although unstaffed stations are unpopular with the
public at large, I can tell you, from a safety/security point of view).
*That* point was being made on Tyneside in 1980!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk