Old December 12th 03, 08:17 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Paratransit Speed

Access Systems wrote in message ...
I think you missed the point.The majority of underground LU stations are
deep down bored tunnel. Installing a life means boring a shaft , not simply
cutting a hole in the roof as in NYC.

only a few lines are deep, the rest are fairly shallow, and NYC has their

Only a few lines? Umm , central, northern, piccadilly, victoria, jubilee,
bakerloo, waterloo & city are all deep bored tunnel in central london
with platforms probably at an average of 70 feet down from street level.

right the deep ones, but wheelchairs are not that big

are narrower and the platforms are not level with the train floors in most

narrow platforms are quite common in other cities, and as a few cities
have done raising a short section of the platform to floor height is quite
simple and inexpensive

Not where the platform is curved (as quite a few in london are) as it will foul
the side of the train. This then requires ramps to be built into platforms
(expensive) or trains (nowhere to put them in the smaller trains).

cases. Also on the trains there is nowhere for a wheelchair to go other than
block the doorways causing a safety hazard.

in other words the same place as everyone else.

Actually no , standees can move down the aisles or sit on a seat. The aisles
are too narrow for wheelchairs.

Anything can be done if you have a couple of billion to spare. LU doesn't.

I found a long time ago, that is someone wants to do something they will
find a way, and if they don't want to do it they will find an excuse..

Given that LU doesn't currently even have enough money to maintain its
infrastructure properly I think its fair to say that spending a fortune
on making the tube accessable to a small amount of wheelchair users is
currently somewhere near the bottom of their list of priorities. That might
not be right-on and politically correct and you might not like to hear it but
its a fact. Deal.

B2003