Old February 2nd 09, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
J. Chisholm J. Chisholm is offline

Default All TfL buses suspended due to snow

Neil Williams wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 01:38:14 +0000, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

It didn't happen when Milton Keynes Council made the gritting errors a
few years ago which resulted in the entire grid system becoming an ice
rink. The timetable was given up and the buses that were out were
sliding all over the place, but a service was maintained as far as
humanly possible, and even restarted the next day, given that the
drivers themselves also had to get to/from home.

Neil

I wonder if this is in part because the weather is EXPECTED to get worse.
Last time it snowed in the afternoon and transport was distrupted (by
idiots in cars and HGVs) many people spent many hours trying to get home
and others slept in their offices.
Perhaps if such weather is expected it is better to make it difficult to
get to work in the first place

Jim Chisholm