Old February 2nd 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default All TfL buses suspended due to snow

In message , Matthew
Dickinson writes

All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

Times have changed.

I was at school in the early 1960s, and the winter of 62/63 (the coldest
since 1740) started with three days of impenetrable fog in early
December, followed by storms and then virtually continuous snow cover
from Boxing Day until March.

School didn't close once, nor did the buses stop running.

Times have changed.

My grandfather, who was station master at Monument, once walked 15 miles
to work in one of the impenetrable smogs of the 1950s - he got up at
midnight and left home before 1am, and was only a little late in opening
up the station soon after 6am - I always remember him complaining that
he had to walk slowly because visibility was down to three feet in
places.

But somehow everything kept going after a fashion - I guess it was the
remnants of the wartime spirit of not giving up when the going gets
tough.
--
Paul Terry