Old February 2nd 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Euston Station

"Jamie Thompson" wrote

I still think the ideal situation when they redevelop KX would be to
demolish the suburban shed and the somewhat ugly GN Hotel and build
another full-length train shed span next to the existing two. Failing
that, I never could understand why TPTB claimed more suburban
platforms were too expensive....KX used to at one point have several
more adjacent to the current shed (3+ more?)

There were at one time 7 platforms in the suburban and local stations -
17
16 - the platform used by trains from Moorgate via the Hotel Curve
15 and 14 - added in 1924 on teh site of a former loco yard
13, 12, and 11 - the current 11 - 9
Until the 1970s the platform numbers in the main shed omitted 4 and 9, so
the original main departure platform was No. 10.

The problem with adding more longer platforms on teh site of the suburban
station is that this part of the station does not align well with the Gas
Works Tunnels, so a good track layout in the throat would be difficult to
achieve.

Peter