Old February 2nd 09, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Jamie Thompson Jamie  Thompson is offline

Default Euston Station

On 2 Feb, 21:35, "Peter Masson" wrote:
Until the 1970s the platform numbers in the main shed omitted 4 and 9, so
the original main departure platform was No. 10.

That's interesting. Don't suppose you know the reasoning for that?

IIRC there were originally only 2 platforms (which is why the bridge
only caters to 1 & 8), arrival (on the eastern side, hence the cab
road), and departure on the west side (hence the waiting rooms). The
centre roads being used as stock sidings until the centre platform
(current 4&5) were added over them, and finally the other two. I cold
be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's how it worked.

I seem to recall a old map online somewhere showing the KX area with
many more platforms...I'll see if I can find it again.

The problem with adding more longer platforms on teh site of the suburban
station is that this part of the station does not align well with the Gas
Works Tunnels, so a good track layout in the throat would be difficult to
achieve.

Bring back the eastern bore, then have the tracks running primarily
diagonally from the mouths to the platforms. Perhaps move some of the
pointwork to the maiden lane opening. I guess if you wanted to be
drastic...you could even contemplate opening up some of the gasworks
tunnels.