Old February 3rd 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Pay as u Go Oystero

On 3 Feb, 20:51, martyn dawe wrote:
If I get on a bus & the route is terminates before I get to my
destination, should I have to pass my card against the oyster card on
the 2nd bus to complete my journey ?

You should go to the driver of the first bus and request a "transfer
ticket". Note that this will only be issued if that particular bus has
been cut short during the course of its journey - if the bus was
always going to terminate short, i.e. if that was indicated on the
destination blind (and on the iBus system within), then you are not
entitled to a transfer ticket (coz the bus has got you as far as it
advertised it would).

In my experience bus drivers are not very forthcoming about transfer
tickets, with a few splendid exceptions when they've got on the PA
system or even just yelled and told passengers to come and see them if
they needed a transfer ticket.

The exact same rules apply on bendy buses, however in practice I don't
think that the roving inspectors who board bendy buses would have a
problem with someone jumping on the next bus (as long as it was the
same route number) if their bendy bus suddenly terminated short if
they didn't have a transfer ticket and only held their original ticket
from a roadside machine or Oyster card validated on the original bus.

(I'm not even sure that the simple blue calculator-esque handheld
Oyster reader devices interrogate the card for vehicle specific
information - it might just be route and direction specific.)