Old February 3rd 09, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Pay as u Go Oystero

On 3 Feb, 21:28, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 20:51:52 +0000, martyn dawe
wrote:
If I get on a bus & the route is terminates before I get to my
destination, should I have to pass my card against the oyster card on
the 2nd bus to complete my journey ?

If the bus was always going to a destination short of where you were
going [1] then yes you do pay / swipe a second time. This is because it
was your decision to board a bus that was not going as far as you wanted
it to go.

If the bus is turned short while you are on it and you boarded with the
intention of just making one through trip then either you should be
transferred over to the following bus or be given a transfer note for
the driver on the next bus.

[1] i.e. it was clearly shown on the destination blind

The definitive answer, rather better than my verbose and inerudite
attempt upthread!

A follow on question - is the transfer ticket solely for use on that
specific route, or is there any chance of flexibility or driver
discretion coming into play?

A example - I was on a northbound 68 that terminated at the bottom of
Southampton Row (just past Holborn station). I was in a bit of a rush
to get to Euston, the normal end point of the 68 and this was indeed
shown on the destination blind. It got turned short at Southampton
Row, whereupon I got off after failing to go and ask for a transfer
ticket. I then tried getting on the next bus, a 168 I think, by
explaining the situation to the driver (the dead 68 was still sat at
the bus stop) - they seemed perfectly willing to take me *if* I'd had
a transfer ticket, which I did not have, so I ended up legging it up
to Euston.

I may have got the bus numbers mixed up, but the second bus was
definitely a different route to the first. If I'd had a transfer
ticket, would the driver of the second bus driver technically have
been acting within the rules to have let me on, or indeed would they
have been under an obligation to do so - the latter seems rather
unlikely, although I had after all paid for a journey all the way to
Euston.