Old December 13th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default public vs private

Stimpy wrote:
Cast_Iron wrote:
Stimpy wrote:
Cast_Iron wrote:
"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
Cast_Iron wrote:

With one exception all transport systems in the UK are
privately owned and/or managed.

Why should the roads be any different?

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk...contract.shtml

"A13 Thames Gateway

"Design, Build, Finance and Operate (DBFO) Contract

"The works are being undertaken under a Design, Build,
Finance and Operate (DBFO) contract on behalf of
Transport for London (Tf L) Street Management by Road
Management Services (A13) plc (RMS). RMS is a
wholly owned subsidiary of RMS Holdings, owned equally
by
AMEC, Alfred McAlpine, Halliburton Brown & Root and
Dragados."

Which road will be 24.3 kms long. When set against 397412
kilometers of road nationaly it's not even a layby.

The trunk road network is, of course, operated and
maintained by private companies on behalf of the HA. New
trunk roads or major improvements are now often carried
out
os DBFO's

Perfectly true, but my question was about ownership and
management
not who does the work to keep them in good order.

Hence (part of) my last sentence... "New trunk roads are
now often carried out as DBFO's"

Fine, but DBFO does not confer ownership.