Old February 9th 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

Tocside - no room for confusion.

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote :
That sounds like one half of a pendulum clock.

Language doesn't need to be pretty; it simply needs to communicate.

"Paul Scott" wrote...
Except we are discussing barriers in an LU station, and there are plenty
of TOC run stations that have no barriers, and both LU & TOCs are
generally responsible for the whole station anyway, whichever side of the
barrier you are on. Unless you are in a major main line station managed by
Network Rail, or a minor main line station run by LU etc etc...
So as you say, no room for confusion at all...

Nitpicking! I suspect you are choosing to be confused ;o)

Once you cross the barrier, you are tocside; even if there's no physical
barrier, once you've crossed, you are on 'railway territory' as opposed to
'a public place'.

LU isn't formally a 'TOC' - but you'd have to try hard to be confused about
its TOC function; Overground is already a TOC (those nice German folk), and
before long, I supect that Boris will (at least try to) do the same with the
underground lines.

And having a separate term for LU and 'British Rail' would definitely be
confusing.
--
Andrew

If you stand up and be counted,
From time to time you may get yourself knocked down.
But remember this:
A man flattened by an opponent can get up again.
A man flattened by conformity stays down for good.
- Thomas J. Watson Jr.