Old February 10th 09, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default UTLer in the news

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 11:22:46AM +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:00:41 on Sun, 8
Feb 2009, Roy Stilling remarked:
If a vehicle falls under the legal definition that allows it to bear
the designation "Ambulance" and does so, then it is legally an
ambulance and entitled to various legal privileges that don't apply to
ordinary vehicles.

Not all of the protections. Only "NHS" ambulances are covered by the
recent Emergency Workers obstruction law [1], for example.

There are (or were) also Responsibilities.

Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

Thankfully, the army were aware of this and the vehicles all had
convenient metal flaps for covering up the insignia, so that squaddie
medics wouldn't have had to help civilians when the vehicles were in
service.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Eye have a spelling chequer / It came with my pea sea
It planely marques four my revue / Miss Steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word / And weight for it to say
Weather eye am wrong oar write / It shows me strait a weigh.