Old February 10th 09, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] is offline

Default UTLer in the news

David Cantrell wrote in
k:

Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

I am a little doubtful that there is any such requirement, but I am
aware - from driving a similarly marked vehicle - that the red cross is
claimed as a trademark by the Red Cross, who told us (this was 40 years
ago) to remove it from the vehicle. However, I see via Google that the
position is far from straightforward or undisputed even though the
symbol is now protected under the Geneva Convention.

So far as I know there is no restriction on using the word 'ambulance'
on a vehicle. At least one local care home near me uses such a vehicle
to ferry its clients to the local shops.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com