Old February 10th 09, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default UTLer in the news

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

David Cantrell wrote in
k:

Back when I drove a Landrover 101, I believe that the owners' club's
advice to owners of the Ambulance version was that when driving on
public roads, they should cover up the gigantic red cross and the word
"ambulance" because if they didn't they would be required to stop and
assist at any accident and could be prosecuted if they hadn't had the
necessary training.

I am a little doubtful that there is any such requirement, but I am
aware - from driving a similarly marked vehicle - that the red cross is
claimed as a trademark by the Red Cross, who told us (this was 40 years
ago) to remove it from the vehicle.

There was as big fuss a while ago about the use of the red cross in video
games: many fighting-related games have medical packs you can pick up to
restore some of your character's health, and the red cross is pretty much
universally used to label them. The ICRC were understandably not happy
about their logo being used in warlike games!

tom

--
I was employed by a Lacanian and, believe me, you don't want to see what
a postmodern approach to cashflow entails. -- G'