Old February 11th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Chesham/Amersham changes decided

On 11 Feb, 21:15, "Jack Taylor" wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

This does all rather presume that Chiltern will keep stopping between
Amersham and Rickmansworth and at Harrow on the Hill - are they
obliged to do so under the agreement with LU?

Part of the regulatory requirements at privatisation is that there is no
degradation of service from BR days - the Passenger Service Requirement
(IIRC, it was a long while ago!).

Thanks for that.

There are already two
(morning) up and one (evening) down Chiltern trains that don't stop at
Amersham - though I understand they do actually pass through slowly
(for a trip-cock test?).

Two up that don't stop at Amersham and two more that don't stop south of
Amersham. Similar on the return (neither the 18:23 nor the 19:15 ex
Marylebone stop at Amersham).

Whoops - thanks, I evidently didn't do a very good job at scanning
through the timetable and missed one of those evening down services ex-
Marylebone!

This could be taken as suggesting a
begrudging attitude by Chiltern in serving Met line stations, though
I'd think it's just a sensible approach with regards to busy peak time
services.

They were additional services added in the mid-1990s to cater for the
increasing number of commuters from north of Amersham, rather than a
withdrawal of stops from other services. The only station that lost its
Chiltern services was Moor Park.

OK, that makes sense. I think I'd just read something from an annoyed
Amersham commuter who watched Chiltern trains pass by (seemingly
slowly) with a degree of annoyance. Though I also recall reading
something in a Chiltern newsletter about how they were trying to avoid
'Underground commuters' overrunning their trains! I suspect they were
talking about those very same peak time trains that don't stop at
Amersham - though did they ever stop at Amersham in the past and this
stop was later withdrawn?

I'm guessing that Moor Park didn't feature in the 'Passenger Service
Requirement' that you mentioned earlier? Or might the Chiltern service
there have been withdrawn by mutual consent of Chiltern and LU?