Old February 12th 09, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default UTLer in the news

In message , at 13:00:45 on Thu,
12 Feb 2009, Ian Jelf remarked:
I think it underlines a very basic flaw in the way in which councillors
are treated. Don't get me wrong, I often hold these people, making
far-reaching decisions about things they have no real knowledge of [1].
However, the way in which they can be held to account **more strictly
than other members of society** does seem to me deeply unfair.

While I will be the first to demand that elected officials should
refrain from fiddling their expenses, it does seem a bit harsh when the
goalposts are moved such that no-one can be elected/appointed if, eg,
they have *ever* filed a late tax return.