Old February 12th 09, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.transport
Brian Morrison Brian Morrison is offline

Default SWT go into cycle hire business

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:31:26 on
Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
"Passengers will be able to hire the South West Trains' branded Brompton
bicycles from our Lost Property Office at Waterloo station...

I wonder what guarantees the hirers will have to make. I note that a
recent similar scheme in Paris resulted in 7,800 bikes being stolen and
a further 11,600 being 'vandalised' from a pool of only 20,000.

(Yes that's just 600 unscathed)

The promoters are apparently "struggling to fund the scheme" and said
"we underestimated the degree of damage [the bikes] would suffer".

All they needed to do was check up on the statistics for supermarket
trolleys.

--

Brian