Old February 12th 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.transport
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default SWT go into cycle hire business

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:31:26 on
Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
"Passengers will be able to hire the South West Trains' branded Brompton
bicycles from our Lost Property Office at Waterloo station...

I wonder what guarantees the hirers will have to make. I note that a
recent similar scheme in Paris resulted in 7,800 bikes being stolen and
a further 11,600 being 'vandalised' from a pool of only 20,000.

(Yes that's just 600 unscathed)

Most of the 'stolen' ones were quickly found and recovered. Of course,
this raises the admin costs, but not as much as having to replace bikes
would do.

The promoters are apparently "struggling to fund the scheme" and said
"we underestimated the degree of damage [the bikes] would suffer".

I hear the design of the London bikes will be as vandal-resistant as
practicable.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.