Old February 12th 09, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

On Feb 12, 4:23*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 12 Feb, 14:49, MIG wrote:

(snip)

Regarding connections at Queen's Road Peckham (QRP) and Peckham Rye -
for reasons unclear to me the new (Dec '08) timetable removed 2tph off-
peak from London Bridge via Peckham Rye, Tulse Hill and West Norwood
to Smitham, reducing the service from 8tph to 6tph. My recollection is
that these ran just in front of of or behind the SLL service, so their
loss from Peckham Rye, QRP and South Bermondsey wasn't a big deal.
However the loss of the SLL service would further reduce this to 4tph
from these stations, unless the SLL trains were replaced by something
else - I imagine that they would be but this is something to look out
for.

I've just been trying to work out a possible reason for the loss of
two trains per hour from LB via Queens Road.

They seem to have been sacrificed to make way for doubling the
previous Horsham/Tonbridge services to two to Horsham plus two to
Reigate/Tonbridge. The number of departures from LB terminus is the
same.

It's not quite as straightforward as that, because the latter run from
Charing Cross, but the fast Tattenham Corners now start from the
terminus instead of Charing Cross.

(I don't really see why off-peak departures from LB terminus need to
be restricted, but maybe it's the Croydon area that can't fit them in
now.)

In all that, Smitham loses one train per hour and Tattenhan Corner
gains one, because there's an hourly Purley - Tattenham Corner.