Old February 12th 09, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] a.60@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 8 Feb, 21:36, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
13:30:49 on Sun, 8 Feb 2009, lonelytraveller
remarked:

Its just occurred to me that maybe they are closing the passage so
that they can turn it into a gentle slope downwards, accessed from the
airside - it would join up with the old northern line lift shaft very
smoothly if they did that.
None of the plans show any such passage, or re-use of the old lifts.

One set of old northern line lifts have a modern lift (designated with
an X hatch) in it...

Where is the other end?

And the lift is not for public use, either now or in the future, I
reckon. That's the important aspect.

Correct - it's an access lift for firefighters. One of the problems in
the King's Cross fire of 1987 was the inability of firefighters being
able to get below the seat of the fire to assess and possibly fight
it. It will very likely never need to be used in such a serious
situation, but it's there and available. I can't remember if this was
one of the Fennell Report recommendations or not.

Regards
Brian