Old February 12th 09, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] a.60@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 9 Feb, 14:38, Peter Campbell Smith
wrote:
wrote innews
In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
16:34:57 on Sat, 7 Feb 2009, remarked:
The access from the concourse doesn't close till tomorrow.

I keep forgetting it's been delayed.

Only until today, though.

When I first used that entrance regularly - maybe around 1980 - there was a
boarded-up escalator from the passage-that-has-just-been-closed up to the
mainline station concourse, adjoining the stairs. *Later, it was removed
and the stairs were widened. *I often wondered (as I lugged my bags up the
stairs) whether it was ever in use and why it was removed.

I remember Alan Williams in Modern Railways (some decades ago!)
complaining that the escalator never worked, then it was hidden away
by hoardings, then removed. Don't know why though. Perhaps British
Rail wasn't very good at maintaining escalators so thought it better
just to get rid of it!