Old February 13th 09, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Andy Andy is offline

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

On Feb 13, 1:20*am, Mizter T wrote:
On 12 Feb, 20:42, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"Andy" wrote

I don't think that platform 8 is regularly used by Southeastern
trains. It is accessed by from the Southern gateline and *there is a
gate between it and platform 7. Physically, the pointwork allows all
of platforms 3-8 access to/from the 'Brighton' lines at Victoria
(rather than via Stewarts Lane), but I can't remember if the
signalling allows it.

IIRC platform 8 has its own gates, and can't be accessed through the gates
to any other platform. It has at least until quite recently been used by
Southeastern trains. Time was, of course, when it was a full length
platform, and regularly used by - and specifically labelled for - the Golden
Arrow.

Platform 8 does indeed have its own gateline - whilst it can't be
accessed from any of the central side platforms it is possible to
reach it from the eastern side platforms by walking all the way up to
the end of platform 7 (there are cycle racks up this way) - this map
of the station illustrates this (PDF):http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documen...engers/Station Maps/
4510_Victoria Station Map.pdf

My recollection is that it is attended to by Southeastern gateline
staff.

Southeastern trains certainly do make regular use of platform 8 - the
Dartford trains arrive and depart from there sometimes, perhaps it
normally only happens around peak times (?).

I just had a quick look on the Travelline North East website and
Platform 8 does only appear to see timetabled use by the Dartford
trains during the peak. At other times these seem to use platforms 6
or 7 (I only checked the morning peak though). Maybe the gateline
staff change, depending on who is using the platforms, the last time
that I used it was on a Saturday when platforms 16-19 were out of use
and Southern were using it.