Old February 14th 09, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default UTLer in the news

In message , Andrew Heenan
writes
Councillors, on the other hand, seem to be held to account
by this Orwellian-sounding "Council's Code of Conduct for Councillors".
That "code of conduct" sounds a bit like an employer's disciplinary
procedure to me.

Nothing Orwellian about it. People stand for election to represent 'the
people', and therefore are public servants. It takes approximately 3.2
seconds after the end of their acceptance speech for many of them to forget
this, and revel in the power.

Absolutely. I've seen that happen on countless occasions, usually
through ignorance but often as you say through a hunger for "power".

But they are not "public servants" (that term applies to employed
council officers). They are elected officials which I consider to be
an important distinction.

There's nothing 'Orwellian' about reminding them of their public duty
(in vain though that reminder might be).

No I agree. There's nothing Orwellian about reminding them of their
duty.

What's wrong with disciplining a power-hungry ******* who has betrayed those
who bothered to vote -

That is the job of the electorate; not a non-elected body of officials.

If a councillor wants to be a complete ******* then that's their
prerogative. The democratic process should ensure they don't get in next
time.

As has been said before, we get the leaders we deserve.

let alone those who didn't, but are still entitled to
be represented by honest men (and women) ?

If they didn't vote, they have no grounds for complaint about who they
get to represent them.

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK