Old December 14th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default public vs private

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:49:06 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:43:07 -0000, "PeterE"
wrote:

Yeah, that'd work, wouldn't it?

It'd work better than the current mess.

At *least* reregulate bus services outside London. Those using buses
in the capital don't know they're born compared with the shambles
elsewhere in the country.

Ok I think some of us do know we are born! I occasionally look at the
shambles that is now transport in Tyne and Wear and despair when I
remember how well it worked when it was integrated and properly funded.
I'm sure Stagecoach, Arriva and Go Ahead would disagree with me though
as their current networks and fares are, of course, completely
wonderful.

The only places in the country where deregulation *seems* to have
provided some sort of benefit are those well known bright spots of
Brighton, Oxford and York. However I don't use those networks so am only
going on commentary in the industry press.

The contrast between London and Surrey bus services is quite amazing and
in some respects an indictment of this government's mistreatment of
public transport. You could, of course, argue that all those car owners
in Surrey would never catch a bus so why bother even thinking about
providing a service.
--
Paul C
Admits to Working for London Underground!