Old February 16th 09, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster travel cap (z2-6 ) if travel is within 2-6 but fare is via

On 16 Feb, 14:34, wrote:

On 16 Feb, 13:17, Mizter T wrote:

I hope that helps - sorry this post is so epic in length!

Thank you so very much Mizter T, your post made engrossing reading !
Just wanted to add a couple of things. On each occasion I have had
cause to go to *Stratford I had to *"exit" the station and pick up a
friend alighting from a bus at the terminus point outside of the
station. I have seen the validators you mentioned which are close to
the NLL platforms and have occasionally wondered as to what would
happen if I did touch on them ! I assume now that the gate system must
have changed so even a quick touch out and touch in again at the same
station is being recognised as two separate journeys ( the ending of
one journey and the beginning of another).

OK, in that case I'm guilty of making an incorrect assumption about
what you had done at Stratford - sorry!

That's very interesting to hear what happened at Stratford. There's no
out-of-station interchange at Stratford with anywhere else - I mean
not going out of the main gates, so it seems peculiar that they would
be configured to allow a passenger to exit and then re-enter and
continue making their journey. They may have been incorrectly
configured at the time - perhaps the result of the complexity of what
happens at Stratford. I dunno - I must admit it's a bit of a mystery
to me!

I am certainly under the impression that exiting and then re-entering
Stratford would mean that the initial journey was ended and then a new
one was started - that's how I recollect things happening there, I've
never noticed anything happening like what you experience when I've
been there but perhaps I haven't been observant enough - indeed
perhaps it still happens. I'll try it next time I'm up in that neck of
the woods.

As I said, *if* you can stay within the station and meet your friends
in there, then for the time being at least I think you'd get charged
for a Shepherd's Bush to Camden Road journey even if you touched on an
interchange validator within the station - indeed I'd recommend doing
just that, as it would ensure that you were legit for your journey
back west to Camden Rd on the NLL.

The problem over the Xmas S. Ruislip - *Clapham Junction *route was
due to incorrectly configured gates at *Shepherd's Bush *LO ( so I was
told). I got charged separately for both SR - SB (LU) and SB(LO) - CJ,
£1.00 + £1.00 instead of just £1.00 for the entire *SR-CJ journey..

That would indeed explain it. It shouldn't really happen in the first
place, of course.

One hopes that there won't be too many other errors like this when
Oyster PAYG is rolled out across the whole of National Rail in London
- it's important to get it right, preferably first time, or passengers
will end up paying too much and losing confidence in the system. The
problem is that it can't really be trialled out in the real world -
once the Oyster readers at NR stations are switched on, they've all
just got to work from the get-go.

Thanks again !

No worries.